Mel's Little World ...

Monday, October 02, 2006

A Weekend of Music

I've mentioned many times before that I love music and all sorts of different music. This long weekend I went to classical, latin american and dance festivals.

On Friday night, Para, Lena and I went to the Opera House to see the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (best orchestra in the world) play in Sydney. I was going to buy a ticket but decided against it because it costed between $90-$300 and I would rather see them in Vienna the next time I go. However, there was a free event under the stars at the Opera House steps where it was broadcast on a big screen. It was amazing, 4500 people grouped at the stairs of all ages (well, mainly older people) with the Opera House lit up in blue under the stars and classical music bursting out through huge speakers.

They first played one of Mozart's symphonies which I found nice as Mozart is always nice to listen to but his songs are too perfect, too clean, so therefore leaned towards the boring side for me. But luckily they played Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 and I love listening to composers from the Romantic period because their songs are so dramatic and full of emotion. It leaped from dark, quiet, gradual swells of deep sound to sudden, startling, loud clangs to happy, comical, laughable, light tunes to gradual crescendos that led up to beautiful bursts of unifying strings that brought tears to my eyes!

Once again I felt old cuz I would turn around and glare at the youth that spoke during the concert- they couldn't appreciate it or they just didn't know that many people were captured by the pieces and they broke the enchantment by speaking. (You tend to just sort of fall into the song and then become part of the song itself whilst the music pulls you in all different directions... I felt exhilirated after Tchaikovsky and we all applauded forever for the Maestro and the players). The Maestro was amazing to watch- he used no stick but used his whole body (trembling hands, sudden jerks of his entire body) to communicate the direction of the music.

On Saturday, Chris and I popped down to Darling Harbour Fiesta festival which celebrated Latin American music. It was a bit too family orientated but we had fun laughing at kids.

On Sunday, it was PARKLIFE! Chris brought water pistols but they confiscated them but she still had all her other random collection of glow in the dark lollipops, tiaras, hello kitty candy bracelets and more. She is a funny little one. Had a terrible time trying to find people during the day so we stuck with Aron, Sam and James and their friends who were really fun people to dance with!

Chris decked out in birthday gear & me trying to eat the disgusting pasta

Crowd shot & Nhan, Me and Ann

The boys wearing Chris' tiaras, our friend the Police

Me, Chris, Aron; Beauty Queen

Kat, Sam, me


PS. I'll be celebrating my birthday at Harbourlife on Nov 25th so come join me in my bday celebrations there! Buy tickets quick!

4 Comments:

  • I LOVE U!!
    Aaron, Sam n James popped in 2day!! Actuall, Aaron and Sam came right during lunch time rush, bugger and James came in to train.. oh my goodness, crazy boy!!
    ANywho, more straight gym boys asked where we were at Parklife and it would have been so cool to meet up with them!! Always Sunday!!! U should have seen Casey and I on MOnday, HILLARIOUS, being absolute idiots!
    LOVE U!!! Xx. ASIAN PRIDEEEEEEEE

    By Blogger Din, at 10:22 pm  

  • i just read over my msgs from parklife. ur right, they were crazy! haha
    So sad that we couldn't find each other!! but it was still awesome & hope u had fun!
    talk soon!

    x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 pm  

  • cant believe the boys were able to go to the gym when they had such a big nite?? im amazed. tell them to come to sapphire!

    connie- am very sad we didnt find each other but come to harbourlife and we'll have a dance! Chris is thinking of a theme... like girls dress as cowgirls and boys dress as indians haha!

    By Blogger Mel, at 9:51 am  

  • mel!
    havent talked to you in ages. Im glad you have kept up with your blog.
    im presently in melbourne lost in the midst of books and exams. its verging on absurdity that Im still at uni. im turning 23 soon! and so are you!

    love laura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home